Friday, February 25, 2011

Nandita Das Opts Out of Deepa Mehta’s Midnight’s Children For Son Vihaan

Balancing motherhood with a career is a tricky one and Nandita Das has made a choice by opting out of old friend Deepa Mehta’s adaptation of Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie.


Though signed on to play a pivotal role, Nandita opted out. She says, “With little Vihaan, who is 6 months old now and so delightful, I did not think I would have been able to do justice to both the roles and would have felt quite torn. Pity, but as Deepa says, there is Kamagathamaru, where I am playing the female lead and as I say, there is a time for everything!”

For Midnight’s Children Mehta offered Das a guest appearance as well. Says Das, “Even that didn’t make sense as it would have been neither here nor there. I made the decision.”