Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's an Honor just to be Nominated...


The Planet Connections Theatre Festivity award nominations have been released, and our show Love Me has garnered OVER NINE of the little buggers. The nominations are:
  • Congeniality Award - for Jason Grossman
  • Outstanding Overall Production of a New Play - for Love Me
  • Outstanding Playwriting for a New Script - for Jason Grossman
  • Outstanding Lead Actor in a Play - for Aaron Rossini
  • Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Play - for Daina Stefanie Schatz
  • Outstanding Actor in a Featured Role of a Play - for James Cichewicz
  • Outstanding Actress in a Featured Role of a Play - for Kaira Klueber
  • Outstanding Actress in a Featured Role of a Play - for Laura Boling
  • Outstanding Ensemble in a Play, Musical or One-Act - for Love Me
Oh, and there was one more...let's see...what was it...? Oh yeah:
  • Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Play - for Jeff Wills
OHM'GOSH, YOU GUYS! Oh...m'gosh! Well, I just...I never thought anyone was watching! I swear. Seriously, you guys: Thanks. You know, you spend your whole life STANDING OUT THERE and finally, finally somebody notices that you are, in fact, out-standing. I'd like to thank God, of course, and my future agent, and....

Oh right. Right. Haven't won yet. Right. Sorry, everyone; sorry. Got just a hair carried away there.

It really is cool to be nominated. I mean, the sheer number of nominations is huge, because they are divided amongst full-lengths, one-act collections, musical and readings, and it's not a terribly prominent festival in terms of people having heard of it to date, but . . . it's my first nomination. Well, since high school (which, oddly enough, doesn't carry much weight on a resume). It's not too often that somebody nods in one's direction when it comes to acting, and we're expected to put every last bit of creativity and emotion into each and every role as the standard function of the job, so: Yes. It's an honor just to be nominated, if but a modest, personal honor.

It's a bit odd that the festival would like us very much to attend the awards ceremony, and to pay $16 each to do so, to cover the costs of the venue and the certificates. The drinks are supposed to be very affordable, and there's no minimum to buy, so that's good. What's really funny about this is that anyone who's ever tried to run a non-profit event is likely to respond to this structure with a, "Oh yeah, well -- nice of them to administer something like this for everyone. Great networking opportunity, and you'd pay way more for any standard industry meet-n-greet. Plus: I like cheap drinks." Everyone else, though, and most especially my non-theatre friends, will likely be all, "Right. Really? Right. Seriously? So, uh: Why go?"

Why go, indeed, General Public. Why go indeed? There's a certain expectation, and it could be a fun time. I really, truly liked this festival, the way it was run and all the people I met who ran it. It was for not just a great cause, but many, many causes. I miss working with my great cast, many of whom are likely to attend. Plus, I might win. I have no idea, really. I don't even know how their nomination and voting structure work. My part was uniquely supporting (in fact, in my opinion, rather antagonizing) though, and on that basis alone I may be remembered with favor. And I have never given an acceptance speech. Here is my chance to parody Matt Damon's and Ben Affleck's, with me playing both of them of course, and of course avoiding any mention of Minnie Driver whatsoever.

I don't think I will be attending, however. It's a personal decision, because I understand the trials and tribulations of not-for-profit administration and there's simply no point in trying to make a point with my decision. Not to put too-fine a point on it, but: It's pointless. The festivity can't help that they're non-profit, just like I can't help that acting on stage is a generally unprofitable enterprise now-a-days.

My personal basis, however, does have something to do with money. Money does have value, and we ignore that at our peril, regardless of artistic integrity. I willingly, effectively worked hard, for free, to help make our show, taking on whatever duties I could to facilitate the best production I could imagine. That turned out to be an especially rewarding experience this time around. In the process, I helped spread word about the show and the larger festivity, helped make a little money for a worthwhile charity organization, and supported other shows involved. I did all this gladly, celebrating the process.

That, I think, will be reward enough for me this time around. I don't need to pay for anything more. It's an honor.